With the weather cooling down and fall just around the corner we have comfort food on our mind. This time of year always has longing for warm hearty meals that the family can settle in and linger over the dinner table. Our Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells make a delicious and simple meal that embodies everything comforting about home cooking.
While we crave comforting food this time of year, it is also one of our busiest seasons. With soccer practice, games, homework and the busy holiday work season approaching I need meals to be quick and easy. What I love about this recipe is it is incredibly easy, which is definitely a big bonus for cooking on those busy weeknights and it makes plenty of leftovers.
This dish is great for any season and so full of flavor it is sure to become one of your menu planning regulars. Part of what makes this dish so flavorful is the pasta sauce. We tried the new Napa Valley Homemade™ – the next generation of pasta sauce from Mezzetta®. With no added sugar, no past, no shortcuts and crafted with 100% hand-selected plum tomatoes and the freshest ingredients from local farmers it’s the sauce memories are made of. We loved the Tomato & Sweet Basil, it was a fairly traditional tasting Italian sauce, but the sweet and savory combination was absolutely perfect for this dish.
Now that you have the perfect sauce it’s time to assemble the stuffed shells with a smooth creamy cheese mixture.
Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the cheesy spinach mixture into each shell.
Arrange the stuffed shells in a baking dish and pour the all star Mezzetta Napa Valley Homemade™ pasta sauce over the top of the shells covering completely. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until bubbly.
Serve with a fresh garden salad and garlic bread for a cozy and satisfying meal that will let you savor the flavors of fall and enjoy a memorable family dinner.
This fall spend less time in the kitchen and more time at the table with this comfort-food classic. Print out our Dinner Table Conversation Cards and make Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells for an unforgettable fall family dinner!
- Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen spinach, cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (24 oz ) jar Mezetta Tomato and Sweet Basil Pasta Sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes until tender. Add to a large bowl 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, spinach and ricotta. Stir well.
- Fill cooked shells with mixture.
- Spread ½ cup sauce in bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish. Place filled shells in dish. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Cover with foil.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes until hot.
- Remove foil. Top with remaining cheese and Bake 5 minutes longer until cheese on top is melted.