Fall is the perfect time to pack your picnic basket and head outdoors for an extraordinary afternoon. Summer picnics get all the glory, but here in the South the fall is actually the perfect time for a picnic. The temperatures are cooler, there are fewer bugs and the changing scenery is an extra bonus. If you want to make sure your picnic is magical you’ll want to make sure you follow our top 10 tips for packing the perfect picnic and you are going to want to make sure you pack a Roasted Garlic Caprese Sandwich.
This Roasted Garlic Caprese Sandwich is a mouth-watering delight layered with ripe tomatoes, Italian salami, fresh basil, soft mozzarella cheese, aged balsamic vinegar and a roasted garlic spread. It is quick and easy to make and perfect for packing up to take with you on an afternoon picnic. The flavors only get better as they sit and marinate together, which makes it ideal for taking it on a picnic.
What makes this sandwich so irresistible is the roasted garlic, it does require just a smidge of preparation ahead of time, but it is well worth it! Use the entire garlic bulb and slice the top of it off exposing all of the cloves. Place the garlic bulb on foil, drizzle with olive oil and wrap it up sealing off all of the edges. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and roast for at least 30 minutes up to 1 hour. Just be warned that your house is going to be full of the most amazing smell, and the aroma is likely to cause salivating…seriously it’s so good.
Once you have the roasted garlic, squeeze out the cloves into a bowl and add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash the cloves with a fork until you have a smooth, creamy garlic paste.
Spread the roasted garlic on one side of your ciabatta roll.
Now all you have left to do is layer the sandwich with sliced tomatoes, Italian salami, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves.
Drizzle the aged balsamic vinegar on the other side of the ciabatta roll.
Wrap the sandwich in wax paper and pack it in individual lunch boxes for a spontaneous adventure outdoors.
We think your picnic companions will agree, this Roasted Garlic Caprese Sandwich is the perfect picnic sandwich.
- Cibatta Rolls
- 1 head of garlic
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- balsamic vinegar, drizzled
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Italian salami
- fresh mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Cut off the top of the garlic head, exposing the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a bowl. Add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and mash with a fork.
- Spread the roasted garlic paste on one half of the ciabatta roll.
- Layer the sandwich with tomatoes, Italian salami, fresh mozzarella, and basil.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar on the other side of the ciabatta roll.
- Serve and enjoy.
- DIY Patriotic Italian Soda Bar
- Family Travel Guide to Eureka Springs
- DIY Colorful Painted Favor Bags
- Team Soccer Party Ideas
- Heart Pop-It Valentine with Free Printable Tags
- Easy Halloween Desserts Using Candy Eyes
- How to Use Cricut Foil Transfer System
- FREE Holiday Cell Phone Wallpaper Background
- Back to School Jitter Juice
- Lottery Ticket Cake Teacher Appreciation Gift
- DIY Graduation Cap Balloon Gift
- Tattle Monster