Summer may officially be over, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a delicious and cool treat. That’s right these Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches with Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream are bursting with fall flavors and giving us a reason to hang on to one of our favorite parts of summer just a little bit longer.
These tempting treats take advantage of deliciously warm fall flavors for an irresistible dessert the whole family will love. Plus, this is a great recipe for your kids to get in the kitchen and help with. My girls love baking cookies and I love that such a simple activity is creating lasting memories. I have so many sweet memories of spending time in the kitchen with my mom or grandma baking cookies and to this day still love when I have the opportunity to create recipes and bake in the kitchen with my mom. After church I was telling my mom about my plan for this recipe and she immediately wanted in on all the fun. She invited the girls over to bake the oatmeal cookies using her mom’s famous oatmeal cookie recipe and of course let them lick the beaters, because let’s face it that’s one of the best parts!
I originally planned on just using homemade vanilla ice cream to make our Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches, but I had lots of apples left over from our Candy Apple Bar fall party and while I was looking for ideas for how to use them up I stumbled on this recipe for Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream. A few tweaks later and BINGO, fall flavors unite for the ultimate ice cream sandwich.
Apples, cinnamon, and creamy ice cream sandwiched between soft, chewy, warm oatmeal cookies…what more could you ask for?!? The only thing that would have made these tasty treats better is if we had picked the apples from a quaint little apple orchard in New England during a crispy fall morning outing with the family.
The ice cream starts with a traditional custard base, but what really makes it amazing is the cinnamon apples. I love the tiny chunks of the spiced apples combined with the smooth, creamy hint of vanilla in the ice cream. It’s a classic flavor combination that just goes perfectly together.
Combine it with the chewy homemade cookies and you’ve got yourself an instant winner. You better act fast though, these Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches with Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream will disappear quickly!
What is your favorite fall flavor combination?
To make these delicious Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches with Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream you’ll need your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe and our Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream recipe below.
- 1 red delicious apple
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- Heat the milk and sugar in a pot over medium/high heat just until it begins to boil. Then reduce the heat slightly.
- In another bowl whisk together the egg yolks. Pour a few tablespoons of the hot milk mixture in with the egg yolks and stir.
- Once the egg yolk mixture is tempered add it to the pot of hot milk. Whisk to combine. Continue cooking over medium heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and remove the pot from the burner, add in the whipping cream and vanilla.Stir to combine.
- Pour into an air tight container and refrigerate overnight.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop your apple into very small pieces. Coat in ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar and bake in a small oven-safe dish on 350°F for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Set aside and allow to cool completely, store in refrigerator overnight if making ahead.
- Pour the ice cream batter in to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer directions for use. A few minutes before your ice cream is done stir in the baked apples.