What do you get when you take two vibrant summer flavors and combine them to create a sweet treat? You get the most delicious Lemon Basil Sun Drop Cookies, of course! Lemon and basil are a great flavor combination, but most people wouldn’t think to combine them in cookies, but that’s just what my mom and I did this weekend and the results are a delicious, sweet and tart cookie that taste just like a bright summer day.
A few months ago I had the privilege of attending the Wilton Sweet Up event where I got a behind the scenes tour of Wilton IHQ, taste tested new recipes and got to play with brand new products. One of those products was the new Treatology flavor system and I’ve been dying to try it out, but just haven’t had the time lately to experiment in the kitchen. My mom has also been dying to try them so she finally convinced me to spend a Saturday baking cookies and the results are these delicious Lemon Basil Sun Drop Cookies.
We used a classic butter cookie recipe and tweaked it using the treatology flavor system. The treatology flavor system uses concentrated drops to infuse gourmet flavors into cake batter, icing, fondant and more. There are over 30 unique treatology recipes made-from-scratch, or you can experiment with flavor pairings to create your own delicious recipes and put a spin on an old classic like we did.
Once we mixed the ingredients together for the dough we wrapped it in wax paper and refrigerated overnight.
We decided to use my mom’s cookie press to make pretty little drop cookies. It always cracks me up when my mom pulls out some of her kitchen accessories that’s older than I am, but then again it still works like it’s brand new.
My girls love baking cookies and had lots of fun playing around with the cookie press. I think this one could have spent all day pressing out flower shaped cookies on to baking sheets.
Pop them in the oven and 5 minutes later you have delicious golden lemon flavored cookies with just a hint of basil.
These pretty little cookies would be perfect to set out on a tray for summer entertaining or serve at baby showers or tea parties.
- Lemon Basil Sun Drops
- ½ c. Sugar
- 3 tsp. freshly grated lemon peel (zest from two small lemons)
- ½ c. Butter (softened to room temperature)
- 3 oz. cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp. lemon extract
- ¼ tsp. basil extract
- 1-3/4 c. Sifted flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 5 drops food coloring gel (optional)
- Combine sugar and lemon zest until well blended in a food processor; set aside.
- With an electric mixer cream butter and cream cheese until well blended.
- Add sugar/lemon zest mixture gradually, continuing to cream until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, extracts and food coloring (if desired); beat well.
- Sift flour and salt together; add in 3 additions; mix well, but do not over work the dough (I usually use my hands to mix in the final flour addition).
- Shape dough into a roll about 10 inches long and 2 inches in diameter; wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- After dough is firm, shape into cookies using a cookie press or by cutting the roll into ⅜ inch thick cookies. (Hint: it's a good idea to line your cookie sheets with parchment paper to prevent over-browning of the bottoms.)
- Bake at 375 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden. Be careful not to over-bake.
- Makes about 5 doz. small cookies.