It’s football season and that means it’s time to break out all your favorite tailgate recipes and stock up on food to feed a crowd. This past weekend we smoked ribs and I made these delicious Smoked Tailgate Beans with Dr. Pepper, which can only be described with one word…DELICIOUS!
Ok, I have a small confession to make we don’t actually “tailgate” very often. With three active kiddos in their own sports activities it’s rare that we actually make it the stadium for football games anymore, but that doesn’t stop us from having friends over to enjoy good food and watch the game! And thanks to our sponsors Jingit they make it easy to tailgate with the right stuff whether you are actually at the game or watching it on TV at home.
A few weeks ago I download the new Jingit App and I’ve love checking out what new deals I can grab and earn cash instantly online, in-store and on the go with participating brands. When I heard about the Jingit Dr Pepper Tailgating promotion going on at Target stores from September 8 – September 27 I knew I wanted to make this delicious recipe for smoked beans a friend shared with us a while back. Not only can you earn $1 through the Jingit Dr Pepper experience when you purchase 3 participating Dr. Pepper products at participating Target stores you will also receive a cozy stadium blanket for free, while supplies last. As the weather gets cooler this blanket is going to come in handy at football games…or just snuggling on the couch with my hubby.
Ok, I’ve blabbed on long enough let’s get to that mouth watering recipe, shall we?!
- 3 cans navy beans, drained
- 2 cans great northern beans, drained
- Onion, diced
- Bacon, diced in small cubes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Spicy Chipotle Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce
- Caramelize the onions with 2-3 Tablespoons or Dr Pepper in a hot skillet
- Meanwhile open the cans of beans and drain
- Dump the beans into a large mixing bowl
- Add the ketchup, mustard, honey and brown sugar
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add the caramelized onions and bacon, reserve some of the bacon to add a layer on top of the beans
- Mix everything together and pour into the aluminum baking pan
- Add a layer of bacon to the top of the beans and brush on the Spicy Chipotle Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce
- Put in smoker and smoke for 3 hours or bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes
The ingredients for these Smoked Tailgate Beans with Dr. Pepper are super simple, but the secret to their flavorful punch is the Dr Pepper.
After chopping up an onion I put them in the pan and pour Dr. Pepper in the pan to caramelize them with just an extra hint of sweetness.
After you’ve cooked the onions you just dump everything into an aluminum backing pan. Add a layer of bacon and then brush on BBQ sauce. You can use any BBQ sauce, but I revamped my Spicy Chipotle BBQ Sauce and added some Dr Pepper it was the perfect flavor combo for this recipe!
We put the pan in the smoker along with our racks of ribs and let it cook for about 3 hours. Mmmm, perfection I tell you. Tailgate Perfection.
Don’t forget to download the Jingit app and save on all your tailgate needs, including the Dr Pepper you’ll need to make these delicious Smoked Tailgate Beans! And in the meantime make sure you enter the $500 Target giftcard giveaway sponsored by Sway Group. The giveaway will be open from September 8, 2014 to September 17, 2014 and the winner will be selected on or about September 19, 2014.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf Jingit.
- Gingerbread Sleepover Holiday Party
- Gnome for the Holidays Christmas Tree
- Down Home Holiday Hoedown
- Heart Pop-It Valentine with Free Printable Tags
- FREE Fall Cell Phone Wallpaper
- Easy Homemade Summer Slushies + Free Printable Tags
- Easy Entertaining with Summer Seafood Boil Party
- Tailgates and Touchdowns Game Day Party Ideas
- 6 Tips for a Fiesta Themed Graduation Party
- Slice Into Summer- 20 Watermelon Party Ideas
- Hot Air Balloon Valentine Box
- 10 Patriotic Signs for 4th of July