Big thanks to REPREVE for sponsoring today’s post and encouraging us to #TurnItGreen
The kids and I are antsy for spring to arrive, we could use a fresh start and some warmer weather. While it’s still too cold outside to get started on our garden we decided we could bring a touch of spring indoors with these fun Recycled Water Bottle Planters.
Did you know that the U.S. plastic bottle recycling rate is less than 30 percent? Most people don’t even think about what happens to plastic bottles after you recycle them. But the company and inspiration behind today’s craft does. REPREVE is a recycled fiber that helps turn plastic bottles you recycle into cool stuff you can wear and use every day like reusable bags, food storage accessories, jackets by North Face and designer jeans from Beiga-Flor. Now there’s no excuse not to recycle!
Normally we just use our refillable water bottles, but from time to time we do have a need for plastic water bottles and today we are going to #turnitgreen and not only recycling our water bottles but we’re going to turn them into a fun spring time craft for the kids. This is a simple project you can complete in less than 20 mins.
1. Collect your water bottles that need to be recycled and remove the labels from them.
2. Next, cut the top 4 inches of your water bottle with a sharp knife or scissors.
3. Let the kids decorate the bottle with washi tape.
4. Fill the top part of the water bottle with planting soil and plant seeds, seedlings or pretty flowers.
5. Add water to the bottom part of the bottle. Remove the lid from the top part of the bottle and lower it into place on the bottom part of the bottle.
6. Enjoy your Recycled Water Bottle Planters and remember to take good care of your new plant with water, sunshine and lots of love.
My daughter and I had fun making this craft together, here is a short video we made to show you just how simple and easy it is to reuse and recycle.
And that’s not all, when you’re done with this simple project you can keep the creative juices flowing. Make your own short video with the kids on your smart phone showing how your family is going green this year. Then upload it to Twitter, Instagram or Vine with #TurnItGreen hashtag and you could win $5,000!
#TurnItGreen X Games contest details:
Dates: Jan. 1-31
Grand Prize: $5,000 cash
To celebrate the X Games, REPREVE invites participants to share how they “turn it green”, or how they live a more sustainable life by recycling or reusing materials, by sharing an image or video on Twitter, Instagram or Vine with the #TurnItGreen hashtag and @Repreve.
Once you share the image or video with the hashtag, you will be entered into a sweepstakes where five entries will be randomly selected as the Top Five. Those five will be voted on by visitors to Repreve.com where the image or video with the most votes will win a $5,000 cash prize. The other four video entries will receive a REPREVE Jacket and a Go-Pro camera (retail valued at over $350).