We all know that moms are some of the hardest working people on the planet. I know my mom is and she is always taking care of others so it is only fitting that this year her Mother’s Day gift be filled with ways that she can pamper herself. For this month’s Michaels Makers challenge I’ve created DIY Bath Salts & a Spa Gift Basket, perfect for the mom in your life who deserves a little TLC and pampering!
For me taking a bath is a luxury, one that I don’t take advantage of often enough. And I know that I get that “g0, go, go” attitude from my mom. She is always so busy throwing herself into her job as a teacher and constantly worrying about her students and how she can further enrich their lives. I know that she rarely takes time for herself, but hopefully with this Mother’s Day gift she will be persuaded to relax. These DIY Bath Salts make a great gift, but make sure you make a few extra to keep for yourself too!
I can’t leave Michaels without stopping by the bargain bins at the front of the store. It never fails that something from that section ends up in my cart, most recently it was the glass test tubes that I found for a $1.50 a piece. I thought they would be perfect for my spa inspired Mother’s Day gift and snagged a bunch of them.
There are a few ways you can make your DIY bath salts. You can mix up one large batch and use one scent and color for all of it, or you can make smaller batches and create different scents and colors for each test tube. I wanted a variety of colors and scents so I mixed each one individually. The recipe below will make enough for 1 test tube, however if you want to make a larger batch just remember that is is basically a 2:1 ration with the Epson salt and sea salt.
- 2 Tbsp Epson Salt
- 1 Tbsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Soda
- Essential Oils – 3-4 drops
- Food Coloring – 1-2 drops
- Mix the Epson salt, sea salt and baking soda together.
- Add the essential oils and the food coloring and mix until well incorporated.
- Use a funnel to add the DIY Bath Salts to your test tubes
- Seal the test tube with the cork and place in a spa gift basket.
I rounded up all of the spa essentials and put them in this fabulous white tray I found at Michaels. Along with my DIY Bath Salts I included new washcloths, a loofah, pedicure brush, lemon sugar scrub and a candle. It’s the perfect gift to help mom relax and enjoy a little me time this Mother’s Day. To make the gift even more extraordinary you could include a gift card to mom’s favorite spa for a special day of relaxation and pampering. Either way, I think mom will enjoy taking time out for herself with her DIY Bath Salts and Spa Gift Basket.
Michaels has everything you need to create the perfect handmade gift that will make Mom’s day. Not sure where to start? Take a look at some of the fun projects on Michaels.com or one of the other 49 Makers’ ideas on The Glue String for thoughful and personalized gifts any mom would love!
- You’re the Cherry Best Pie Party
- 8 Easy Valentines To Make with Your Cricut
- Sweet As Pie Gift Idea with Free Tags
- DIY Beach Sunset Paint Pour Coasters
- 25 No Carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- Tips to Beat the Summer Heat
- Easy New Year’s Eve Party Appetizers
- Here’s The Scoop Ice Cream Gift Basket
- 5 Teacher Gifts Teachers Really Want
- Hot Cocoa Stand – Share the Joy
- Teacher Appreciation Gift Ideas with Free Printable
- Valentine’s Day Box Idea