I love chocolate. I love avocados. But, I would have NEVER thought to pair those two ingredients to make a rich, decedent dessert that is not only delicious but healthier for you too! You absolutely have to make these Chocolate Avocado Truffles, they are SO good!
My kids school recently hosted a Healthy Recipe Video Challenge and of course my daughter wanted to enter because she wanted to defend her winning title from last year. You may remember that she created a fun breakfast recipe for Healthy Breakfast Kabobs, that was easy, healthy and portable for those busy school mornings.
This year they were challenged to use the special ingridient, avocados, to create their healthy recipe. While waiting at the dr. office I asked her what type of recipe she wanted to make, dinner, snack, dessert, ect. She picked dessert and since I’ve never made dessert with avocados we headed to Pinterest for some inspiration. She spotted this recipe for Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles and decided that is what she wanted to create.
I will admit I was a little skeptical about eating chocolate candy with avocado as one of the main ingredients, but the results were absolutely delicious! You can taste just a faint hint of the avocado, but I think that may be because I know they are in there. We taste tested them with my parents and didn’t tell them what the secret ingredient was and they couldn’t guess it, but thought the chocolates were delicious.
My daughter is proud of her new healthy dessert creation and video. She loves participating in these fun school activities and I love that she is excited to try new things, isn’t shy about being in the spotlight and it’s a great way for us to spend some quality time chatting together in the kitchen!
We modified the recipe just a tad so that the truffles were slightly sweeter with a mix of dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. And we decided to roll some of our truffles in coco powder and others in coconut flakes.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 oz dark chocolate
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (separated)
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- Pit the avocado and mash the flesh with a fork until completely smooth and lump free.
- Melt the chocolate in either the microwave or on the stove, taking care not to burn it.
- Once melted, stir in the mashed avocado, brown sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and 1½ tbsp of the cocoa powder until thoroughly combined.
- Use an electric mixer to get a smooth and creamy texture, you don't want lumps in your truffles.
- Place the truffle mixture into the fridge for 30-40 minutes and let cool until partially set.
- Use a small ice cream scooper or tablespoon to dollop out the truffles and form balls with your hands.
- Roll the truffles in the remaining 1 tbsp of cocoa powder and coconut flakes
My favorite was the Chocolate Avocado Truffles rolled in coconut, which one do you think you would like best?