Today is National Tortilla Chip day and since I consider tortilla chips a major food group I decided to whip up my favorite 5 Minute Fire Roasted Salsa Recipe. If it were up to me (and my waistline wouldn’t hate me for it) I would eat chips and salsa every single day. Seriously, I never get tired of eating chips and salsa, especially homemade salsa!
My grandma gave me her dear friends salsa recipe years ago when I was first married and I have adapted it over the years to make it my own. What I love about this recipe is it is super quick to make and you can add or eliminate ingredients that you want to make it just the way you like it. I usually make big batches of this in the blender and store it in Mason Jars, but it never fails this stuff doesn’t hang around our house for long!
I find this fresh, bold, vibrant bowl of salsa is irresistible and while my favorite way to enjoy it is with tortilla chips, it’s also great for topping tacos, baked potatoes, serving over omelets or any other Mexican dish. And it doesn’t just look pretty, it is low in fat, high in fiber and loaded with antioxidants too. The medley of fire roasted tomatoes, green chilies, grilled onions, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro and fresh lime juice marry together to create a mouth-watering and irresistible salsa.
You can’t celebrate National Tortilla Chip Day without tortilla chips and just like my salsa I have a love affair with the Market Street Deli Style Chips found exclusively at Market Street. These chips are made fresh daily at the deli and are so fresh that you can actually taste the tortilla! They are light, crispy, and seasoned with a special blend of seasoning to make the perfect tortilla chip, perfect for dipping in my 5 Minute Fire Roasted Salsa. Or you can pick up a container of fresh made guacamole or my absolute favorite, Jalapeno Cheddar Pecan Dip. Either way, once you start snacking on these crispy chips it will be hard to stop.
So make what would have otherwise been an ordinary day in February extraordinary and whip up a batch of this 5 Minute Fire Roasted Salsa and celebrate National Tortilla Chip Day!
- 2 14 ounce cans fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- 1 4 ounce can roasted green chilies
- ½ small yellow onion, grilled and roughly chopped (you don't have to grill the onion, we just like the added layer of flavor it adds)
- 1 small fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (if you like it spicy leave the seeds in)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Jalapeno Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Drain the tomatoes, reserve the juice.
- Combine all ingredients except for the reserved tomato juice in blender or food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped, we like ours a little chunky.
- If you like thinner salsa add a small amount of the reserved tomato juice and plus until you get the desired consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips or top your favorite Mexican dish, potato or omelet with the fire roasted salsa.