Disclosure: I am a member of the core blogger program with DecoArt. I receive compensation and product for my partnership with this brand. All ideas and opinions are 100% my own.
We think our dad ROCKS and this year the kids and I decided to give him a special Father’s Day Gift he can treasure. Every time we go for a walk my kids are always collecting rocks and I usually end up finding a few stowaways when I do laundry, so it seemed fitting that we use some of the rocks to make a gift for dad. Plus, I’ve been looking for a reason to try the new DecoArt Decou-Page Paper.
This is an easy gift that you can personalize to show dad just how much you appreciate him and easy an easy gift the kids will love helping with.
You’ll need the following supplies to make your “Day You Rock” Father’s Day Gift.
- Wooden Treasure Box
- Americana DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint in Relic
- Americana DecoArt Acrylic Paint in variety of colors
- Americana DecoArt Decou-Page Ikat Paper and Gold Foil
- Americana Decou-Page in Matte finish
- Rocks (smooth, flat rocks work best)
- Paint Brushes
- Permanent Marker
- Dad You Rock printable Tags – download here
I bought a wooden, unfinished treasure chest with a photo insert from Michaels and started by painting it with a coat of chalky finish paint in Relic. I love this stuff because it dries so quickly and I love a project I can finish in less than 30 minutes!
While the paint was drying I had the kids help me pick out a pattered piece from the DecoArt Decou-Page Ikat Paper. These new decoupage papers are great because they are significantly thinner than most papers on the market, which means it is easy to apply and effortlessly eliminates creases and wrinkles leaving a seamless finished product.
I applied a thin coat of the Decou-Page to the wooden piece of the photo insert in the treasure chest frame. Apply the trimmed piece of paper and gently smooth it out to eliminate any bubbles. Brush another thin layer of Decou-Page on top of the paper and let it dry. Don’t worry, this dries quick too!
Now, it’s time for the kids to get messy and personalize their rocks for daddy. I let my kids pick out which colors they wanted to paint their rocks and let them be creative.
We also used the DecoArt Decou-Page paper to decorate a few of our rocks. Those are my favorite, aren’t they pretty!
Once the paint on the rocks dried I asked the kids to tell me why they think their dad rocks, then we used a permanent marker to write it on the painted rocks. Some of them were funny like my son’s rock that said “Because you are a boy just like me!” and others were sweet like my daughter’s rock that said “You care so much about making us happy!” Each kid signed the back of their rock so dad would know who those sweet sentiments were from.
I made some simple Dad Rocks Father’s Day tags for our gift. Of course I’m sharing them with you too and even included some that say Grandpa and Pop. Download the free tags here.
We put the rocks in the treasure chest and tied it up with twine and one of printable tags. Now we have a sweet and thoughtful gift to give to our dad who totally ROCKS!
Father’s Day will be here before you know it, so don’t forget to check out some of our other favorite Father’s Day Gift ideas:
- Gingerbread Sleepover Holiday Party
- Gnome for the Holidays Christmas Tree
- Down Home Holiday Hoedown
- DIY Bubble Bath Halloween Costume
- 15 Handmade Valentine Box Ideas for School
- FREE Thanksgiving Cell Phone Wallpaper
- How to Host a Murder Mystery Dinner Party
- 15 No-Sew Group Halloween Costume Ideas
- Pineapple Mojito with Spiced Rum
- Our Dad Rocks Picture Frame – Father’s Day Gifts
- Hot Cocoa Stand – Share the Joy
- Teacher Appreciation Gifts: ‘Donut’ You Know You’re a Great Teacher Free Printable