Add magic to your child’s bedroom with the soft glow of this DIY Glow-in-the-Dark Moon and Stars Mobile.
Do you remember the glow in the dark stars you could put on the ceiling as kids? I was always mesmerized by those glowing stars. Inspired by those stars I used the new DecoArt Americana Glow to create this magical moon and stars mobile.
DecoArt has developed a new glowing paint called Americana Glow, now available at Michaels. It’s water-based and permanent! It glows lighter and brighter, and looks amazing when the lights go down! It’s super-simple to do, and soon you’ll be stargazing from the comfort of your bed!
Supplies for Glow-in-the-Dark Mobile
- Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylics 2oz – Cotton Ball
- Americana Glow in Aqua
- Americana Glow in Orange
- Chipboard moon and star shapes
- Embroidery Hoop
How to Make a Glow-in-the-Dark Mobile
I used my Cricut Maker to make chipboard moon and star shapes. You can also find a chipboard or wooden shapes at your local craft store if you don’t have a Cricut machine to make your own.
The vibrancy of the Glow paint is intensified by painting it over white paint, so I used Americana Multi-Surface for proper adhesion. Once you have painted a base coat of white on the moon and stars let the paint dry completely.
Once the white paint is dry, use a soft liner brush to paint 3 to 4 coats of the Glow paint on the shapes. The colors will darken as they dry.
Now that you have all of your pieces painted it’s time to put the mobile together. Punch a small hole in the top of the moon and use white twine to attach it to the center of the embroidery hoop.
Next, hang the stars and varying heights with the twine. Finish the mobile with a few fluffy white yarn clouds glued to the embroidery hoop.
Now comes the fun part! It’s so much fun to turn out the lights and see it glow! The paint charges best in UV light to sunlight, but mine was glowing after being under regular room lights.
- Spooky Cute Pink and Black Halloween Christmas Tree
- Grandparents’ Day Interview Free Printable
- Bubbling Key Lime Mousse Cauldrons
- Witches Brew: Homemade Root Beer
- FREE Fall Cell Phone Wallpaper
- Daisies & Daffodils Garden Party Ideas
- St. Patrick’s Day Charcuterie Board
- How to Paint Woven Baskets with Acrylic Paint
- 15 No-Sew Group Halloween Costume Ideas
- Tips to Beat the Summer Heat
- DIY Mother’s Day Gift Basket
- Valentine’s Day Box Idea