We are trying to eat healthier around here, which means I’m looking for new recipes to try out that will please the whole family. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mexican food! I could probably eat chips and salsa everyday, but it isn’t the healthiest option out there so when I found this recipe in my Fitness magazine I thought we would give it a try.
It was very flavorful and quite filling. I’m not a huge peppers and onion fan, but this was a really tasty combination. I love black beans and avocado, and this side dish was the perfect compliment, yummy!
Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try:
12 ounces beef tenderloin, cut into thin strips
1/4 c. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 T. chili powder
1 T. Olive Oil
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (I added this, it wasn’t called for in original recipe)
1 can black beans
1/4 c. Cojita cheese, crumbled
1/4 c. cilantro
1. In a bowl, combine beef, 2 T lime juice and 1 T chili powder & set aside
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, bell pepper, poblano and jalapeno and saute 5 mins, stirring ocassionally.
3. Add beef and marinade to veggies and cook 3-4 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In another bowl, combine beans, avocado, cheese, 1/4 c. cilantro and remaining lime juice and 1/2 tsp chili powder.
5. Garnish beef and veggies with remaining cilantro. Serve with avocado salad and warmed tortillas if desired.
It was quick and simple to prepare. According to the magazine it was 436 calories, not bad for dinner! The kids didn’t love it, but still ate it and my husband polished off 4 tacos so it must have been a success!