This creative recipe is part of a sponsored post brought to you by Imperial Sugar, however as always all ideas and opinions are 100% my own.
They say the kitchen is the heart of the home and I would have to agree. I have so many memories of spending time in the kitchen helping my mom make dinner and standing on a stool licking the beaters and baking cookies. It’s been a while since I’ve baked treats with my kids so I decided to fix that with these Monster Brownie Sandwich Cookies.
I love the Kids Kitchen section on Imperial Sugar’s website. They have easy, kid-friendly recipes that don’t require a lot of time or fuss and are great for getting the kids involved in cooking. We found the Cookie Monster Brownie Sandwich Cookies recipe and decided to make a Halloween version. This recipe is quick, easy and double the fun with two brownie cookies filled with buttercream icing and candy eyes. Plus, this recipe works well for even the littlest chefs because it doesn’t matter if they turn out a little uneven or messy, it just makes it more monster like.
We baked the chocolate brownie cookies and let them cool.
While the cookies were cooling we made the buttercream icing and tinted it green for our Halloween version.
I used the candy eyes from our Mad Scientist Party.
The steps are super simple and the kids had fun making their own monster creations. Spread the icing on one side of the cookie, sandwich the other cookie on top and finally let the kids put the eyes all around the cookie.
Your little monsters are going to love these cookies! Get the complete recipe below and don’t forget to visit Imperial Sugar for lots of other creative Halloween ideas including crafts, edible crafts, new spooky Halloween recipes, activity pages, printables and more!
- 24 candy eyes
- 1 3/4 cups flour (spoon & sweep method)
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 to 8 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioner’s Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will be set, but still soft. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After cookies have cooled, spread buttercream icing on one cookie and top with another cookie to make a “sandwich”.
- Spoon buttercream frosting in a pastry bag and use a star tip to adhere the two candy eyes. If you don’t have a pastry bag, a gallon-sized plastic bag with a hole cut into the corner works just as well.
- DIY Patriotic Italian Soda Bar
- Family Travel Guide to Eureka Springs
- DIY Colorful Painted Favor Bags
- Mini Lasagna Roll-up Appetizers for Holiday Entertaining
- Gypsy Fortune Teller Halloween Party
- Winter Woodland Christmas Tree – Michaels Dream Tree Challenge
- Pineapple Mojito with Spiced Rum
- Fiesta Dinner Party
- DIY New Years Eve Ball Drop
- 25 No Carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- Spicy Chipotle BBQ Sauce – Father’s Day Awesomesauce
- Leftover Turkey Sandwiches with Chipotle Cranberry Sauce