Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. What’s not to love, you get to dress up, throw spooktacular parties and eat lots of candy! And when it comes to costumes I’m a sucker for cute, DIY costumes that are different than what you can find on the shelf at the costume store and one of my all-time favorite costume ideas is this DIY Octopus Costume.
I love homemade costumes and this DIY Octopus Costume is all kinds of fabulous! Did I mention it’s no-sew, quick and affordable?
I’ll admit, I’m somewhat of a costume snob. So when the Hub Network asked me to share a DIY costume for kids I was thrilled. You see I have a really hard time buying those cheap polyester costumes at the big box costume stores and I am sure I have my super creative mother and even grandmother to thank for it.
I remember having some of the coolest costumes as a kid, my mom would tell you we had a homemade costume because she was frugal but I still remember that cute little pumpkin costume and who could forget the year I went as Pippi Longstocking! While brainstorming ideas with my mom she mentioned that one of her favorite Halloween costumes was the year she was an octopus. Bingo. I decided to recreate that costume idea for my ocean-loving daughter.
This easy handmade costume took me less than an hour to put together.
- 4 pairs of tights in your daughter’s size
- Matching long sleeve shirt
- Matching hat
- White and black felt
- Cotton Batting
**I purchased the tights, shirt, and hat from Old Navy for $30 and once Halloween is over she’ll have a new outfit to wear!**
How to Make DIY Octopus Costume
1. Begin stuffing 3 pairs of the tights with cotton batting. I learned that you want to stuff them to just above the crotch area of the tights, that will give the fullest look and it won’t bunch in that area when you put them on the belt.
2. Next, lay your belt flat and begin wrapping the top part of the tights around the belt. Secure in place with a safety pin.
3. Cut out two large ovals and two small circles for the eyes. Use double-stick tape or glue to attach them to the hat. **I used double stick tape since this is a hat my daughter will wear again and we didn’t want to ruin it.
4. Have your daughter put on the unstuffed pair of tights and the coordinating long sleeve shirt. Wrap the belt with the stuffed tights around her waist and fasten.
5. Put on the hat to complete the costume.
There you have it a super easy, sassy DIY Octopus Costume that is sure to be the talk of the “ocean!”
If you are looking for other creative costume ideas for girls be sure to check out these great costume ideas.
- DIY Patriotic Italian Soda Bar
- Daisies & Daffodils Garden Party Ideas
- DIY Colorful Painted Favor Bags
- 8 Easy Valentines To Make with Your Cricut
- FREE Fall Cell Phone Wallpaper
- DIY Cricut Valentine’s Day Candy Bar Wrapper
- DIY Christmas Countdown Advent Calendar Ideas
- Tackling a Tween Girl’s Bedroom Makeover
- 10 Patriotic Signs for 4th of July
- DIY Bath Salts & Spa Gift Basket
- Recycled Water Bottle Planters
- Popsicle Stick Flag Craft