Orange you glad it’s Friday?!? I know I am. This week our kids headed back to school and it’s been a whirlwind of emotions, activity and adjustments. Let’s face it, the first week of school can be a little hard for everyone so today we are celebrating with homemade cinnamon rolls with orange cream cheese icing.
We are all excited to have a routine again, but it does take some time to adjust to all of the changes. So while we work on getting back on track for those early mornings, packing lunches, sports activities and regular bedtimes, I thought we needed a little pick me up. What better way to celebrate the end of the week than homemade cinnamon rolls? Years ago my Grandma shared her coveted recipe for her homemade cinnamon rolls and they have been a family favorite since. I don’t make them near as often as I would like, but when I do the sweet aroma fills the house and the kids come running.
This time I decided to add an orange cream cheese icing to give it an extra special punch of flavor. The orange adds a bright burst of flavor and compliments the warm gooey centers of the cinnamon rolls so well.
If the first week of school is taking a toll on our family as we adjust to the new routine I can only image how my kids teachers feel. I am sure they are very glad that today is Friday and the weekend is finally here! If you are familiar with my blog you know how much I value and appreciate teachers. I believe they are unsung heroes who don’t get near enough credit for all the things they do. I like to celebrate them every chance I get, so I made an extra big batch of these homemade cinnamon rolls to take up to the school today.
I whipped up a quick little sign and took a large tray of cinnamon rolls, orange juice and oranges up to the teachers lounge for the teachers to enjoy. It’s a sweet and simple gesture to show them just how appreciated they are.
These sweet treats would also make a great gift for any neighbor or friend who could use a little pick me up. Bake a batch of these tasty homemade cinnamon rolls with orange cream cheese icing, attach one of the free printable tags and deliver them to someone who could use a little treat!
Nothing beats homemade cinnamon rolls in the morning, so do yourself a favor and bake a batch of these sweet treats to enjoy!
- Cinnamon Rolls
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter (or shortening)
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- Chopped nuts (optional)
- Brown sugar
- Orange Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add yeast to warm water and let stand, can add a pinch of sugar
- Heat sour cream to lukewarm and stir in sugar, baking soda, yeast, salt and butter.
- Stir to melt butter
- Add egg and flour, mix well
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch thick
- Spread with butter and sprinkle to taste with brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped nuts
- Roll up tightly and pinch the seam closed
- Cut the roll into ½ to 1 inch slices.
- Dip both sides in melted butter and place them an inch or so apart in a baking dish
- Allow to rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 ºF for 20 minutes, until golden brown
- Let cool and and make the orange cream cheese icing
- Orange Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream together the softened cream cheese and 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Beat in the orange juice, zest and vanilla extract.
- Thicken frosting by adding additional powdered sugar a 1/4 cup at a time to achieve desired consistency.
- Gingerbread Sleepover Holiday Party
- Gnome for the Holidays Christmas Tree
- Down Home Holiday Hoedown
- Witches Brew: Homemade Root Beer
- Teen Boho Birthday Bash
- RainBOO Halloween Carnival Party
- Personalized Mother’s Day Gifts – Monogrammed Jewelry Dish
- Cozy Classic Red Plaid Christmas Tree
- The Best Homemade Strawberry Jam + Printable Jam Labels
- School Supply Teacher Appreciation Gift + Free Printables
- Strawberry Coco Loco Mocktail Recipe
- Valentine’s Day Box Idea