The other day we packed a picnic and headed outdoors to enjoy the beautiful weather we’ve been having lately. To me, the perfect picnic has simple, delicious food and drinks that travel well. This Strawberry Watermelon Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette is one of my favorite summer salads and is absolutely perfect to take with you on a picnic or to a backyard BBQ.
Watermelon: Perfect for Summer Picnics
While it isn’t quite summer yet, watermelons have started popping up at the grocery store. In fact, my kids beg me to get one every time we are there because it’s their absolute favorite. So I picked one up for our picnic, but instead of just slicing it and putting it in a container, I decided to turn that ordinary watermelon into an extraordinary sweet and refreshing salad.
Although watermelon is refreshing on its own, when you add the honey-lime vinaigrette it gives it another layer of mouth-watering flavor. The sweetness of the honey and zing of the lime take this simple summer salad to a whole new level.
Moreover, you can whip this recipe up in less than 10 minutes, making it perfect for those impromptu summer BBQs and picnics. Start by cutting your watermelon into cubes and placing them in a large bowl. Add the sliced strawberries and sprinkle with chopped-up mint.
Finally, make the dressing by squeezing fresh limes into a small bowl of olive oil. Add the honey, nutmeg, and lime zest and whisk until well blended.
Summer Strawberry Watermelon Salad Recipe
Once you’ve made the vinaigrette, drizzle about half of it over the watermelon/strawberry mixture. Pour the remaining dressing into an air-tight container. You can store the remaining dressing in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Use it to make Strawberry Spinach Salad, another one of our family’s favorites, or marinate chicken in the dressing for 2-3 hours before grilling it.
There is no doubt that this watermelon strawberry salad with honey-lime vinaigrette will quickly become one of your favorite summer recipes!
- 1/2 watermelon, cubed
- 6-8 strawberries
- 3-4 mint leaves
- pinch of salt
- Honey Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lime peel
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 3/4 cup salad oil
- Cut the watermelon into cubes and place it in a large bowl.
- Hull and slice the strawberries and add to the watermelon.
- Cut the mint leaves into slivers and sprinkle on top
- Add a pinch of salt
- Vinaigrette Instructions:
- In a small mixing bowl combine the honey, lime peel, lime juice, and nutmeg.
- Whisk to mix ingredients, add half of the oil to the honey mixture in a thin steady stream.
- Continue whisking till mixture is thick, add more oil until you reach the desired flavor.
- Drizzle over the watermelon and serve.
Serving Size:1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85
Addition Summer Picnic Recipes
Planning a backyard BBQ or a picnic in the park? Check out these great recipes and tips for entertaining outdoors:
- DIY Patriotic Italian Soda Bar
- Family Travel Guide to Eureka Springs
- DIY Colorful Painted Favor Bags
- Colorful 21st Birthday Party Ideas
- Ruffled Burlap Garland Tutorial – Michaels Dream Tree Challenge
- RainBOO Halloween Carnival Party
- How to Plan a Picture-Perfect Spring Picnic
- DIY Cricut Conversation Heart Valentine’s Day Party
- Tackling a Tween Girl’s Bedroom Makeover
- DIY Star Wars Canvas Wall Art
- Twins Carnival Birthday Party
- Healthy Field Trip Lunch Ideas