I love collecting globes and have several of them displayed throughout my house. I’ve always loved the beautiful painted versions that I see floating around Pinterest, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to paint one of my globes. After all every single one I’ve purchased I’ve loved it for it’s unique character or color, I just can’t imagine altering it to try out a current trend. I found a way to satisfy my obsession with globes and get that custom painted look I admire with my own DIY Faux Globe.
This month when I received my surprise box of FloraCraft goodies I found lots of FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam balls. I thought of lots of different ways that I could use the ball to create pretty home decor, but nothing was really jumping out at me, that is until I was working on plans for my kids playroom. We are doing an adventure theme and I thought that a painted globe with the saying “Adventure Awaits” would be perfect for the space, but I just couldn’t bring myself to paint one of my current globes. Then it dawned on me, I could make my own with the FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam balls.
Here is what you’ll need for this project:
- 8″ FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam
- Round Clock Base
- 10″ Embroidery Hoop
- 3/8 Wooden Dowel
- Smooth Finish
- Wood Stain
- Gold Vinyl
- Transfer Tape
The steps to complete this project are very simple, however this will require a tiny bit of patience and a little bit of time.
- Paint your clock base, embroidery hoop, and wooden dowel with the wood stain. Wipe away an excess and let the stain dry.
- While the stain is drying on your wood pieces it’s time to start creating your faux globe. Use the smooth finish to create a smooth, paintable layer on the FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam ball. This is where you’ll need a little bit of patience. You will need to work slowly and let the smooth finish dry between layers. I ended up doing 3 layers of the smooth finish to get the surface of my globe as smooth as possible.
- Once the smooth finish has dried you can start to sand out any rough spots or edges.
- Next, insert the wooden dowel into the center of the ball and push it all the way through. This will make it easier to paint.
- The next step is to paint your faux globe with your desired paint color.
- Let the paint dry completely and then add your vinyl saying. I used my Cricut to create and cut this design, but if you don’t have a cutting machine you could use stickers, or even your own handwriting using a paint pen.
- Next, insert the end of the wooden dowel into the wooden clock base.
- Finally, it’s time to add your embroidery hoop. I drilled a hole through my wooden dowel so that I could secure the hoop to the rod. I also added a dab of hot glue to the top of the wooden dowel to keep the top of the embroidery hoop secure and in place.
I am so in love with my new, trendy DIY faux globe. I love it’s size, color and the vinyl saying. The only problem is now I want to keep it downstairs in my living room and keep it on display on my bookshelf, instead of putting it in my kids playroom!
What do you think, would you make your own DIY Faux Globe or would you just bit the bullet and paint an old globe?
You may also want to check out a few of these great tutorials for DIY Crafts: