Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble…with a witches brew just for you! As a kid I remember every year around Halloween my parents would break out the big orange Gott cooler and make a giant batch of Homemade Root Beer. It was fascinating to watch as the smoke and fog billowed out of the cooler and since we rarely had soda it was a special treat.
Fast forward 20+ years and it’s still fascinating to watch as the dry ice works it’s magic as it bubbles from the cauldron full of Homemade Root Beer. I took dry ice with me for my Halloween segment on The Broadcast and it was equally entertaining for the entire cast and crew, who knew it would be the hot topic of my table setting. I had dry ice left over so I decided to make Homemade Root Beer with my kids that evening, and again everyone was mesmerized by this amazing substance.
This Halloween whip up a batch of Witches Brew and have a little fun! Here’s the easy recipe my mom has been making for many, many years!
- 2 oz bottle of root beer extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 gallon of water
- Dry Ice
- Fill a container with 1 gallon of warm water (the warm water will help the sugar dissolve and make the dry ice effect more impressive)
- Add the root beer extract and sugar
- Stir until the sugar dissolves
- Add the dry ice 10-15 minutes prior to serving. You will need to let the dry ice work it's magic for at least 10 minutes to carbonate the root beer.