Halloween is a holiday that allows hosts to play up the magical and mysterious and entertain on a theatrical scale. I recently had the privilege of sharing my top tips for throwing a Wicked Halloween Party on my local TV station, The Broadcast. You too can throw a wickedly fun Halloween party with festive ideas for invitations, decorations, drinks, party favors and more with these entertaining tips for both adult and kids parties alike.
Witches are a popular Halloween icon and can be sophisticated, spooky or friendly making them the ideal theme for adult and kid friendly entertaining. Here are my favorite tips for hosting a truly bewitching get-together, from clever details, creative food, and spooktacular games that will definitely give your guest something to cackle about!
Set the Tone
- Invitations- Set the tone for your frightful fete with an unexpected invite. Invitations are the first glimpse your guest will have of the awesome party your planning. Make your own creative invitation or download and print the free version available here for a element of surprise and fun that will let your guest know they are in for a real treat!
- Decorations – Now that you’ve sent the perfect invitation it’s time to start creating a spooky atmosphere. When it comes to decorations be sure your plan includes all 5 senses. You want your festive decor to engage all the senses. Dim the lights and use lots of candles for a haunting effect, turn on the spooky Halloween music and create a creepy table setting with spooky fabric and apothecary bottles. Don’t forget the dry ice, it’s an effect that mesmerizes people of all ages.
Finding the right decorative accents can be scary and very time consuming. But, keep it simple and combine items you already have with simple spooky touches like wine bottles with melted candles, crows and glittered pumpkins.
Frighteningly Good Food
- Dare to Scare – The great thing about Halloween is you can think outside the box when it comes to the food. Serve Mummy Pizzas or give your food creepy labels like Chewy Bat Bites, Devilish Delights or Dead Velvet Cake.
- Dress it Up – There’s no need to get too fancy, keep it simple and dress up store bought goods with your own creative details for frighteningly good food everyone will love. Make broomstick skewers for mini donuts or a steaming cauldron of witches brew.
- Pick Your Poison – Let guest quench their thirst at the Pick Your Poison drink bar. You can get creative with the serving pieces; use old jars or recycled bottles with gruesome labels. Add dry ice to the drinks for an extra spooky effect (NOTE: Make sure you use large pieces so that no one swallows the dry ice and always supervise kids around dry ice.)
Conjure up some spellbinding fun with these goulish games that will bring shrills of delight to your little guest. Activities are the perfect way to loosen up guest and get the party going. Plan ahead, for children’s parties you should have 3-4 activities planned.
- Witches in Training – Watch as your little witches in training race on broom sticks, bob for poison apples and carefully craft their own black hats.
- Witch Pitch – Use paper mache witch hats to make this simple party game. Spray paint the hat black and add ribbon for a decorative touch. Use glow in the dark necklaces to make rings that your witches in training will practice throwing around the hat.
- Slippery Slime – Make glow in the dark slime and let them play with this slippery slime. This is also a great party favor or classroom treat.
These are just a few of my tips for throwing a wicked fun Halloween party. Just remember that any party filled with clever details, elements of surprise and a pinch of magical charm will be an affair everyone will remember for years to come!
Looking for more tips, watch both of my segments on The Broadcast below:
Printables – DimplePrints
Purple Glitter Apple - Autumn Lynn’s Chocolate Sins
Fondant Cupcake Toppers – Love and Sugar Kisses