I have a confession…I love advent calendars! As a kid there is something so magical about the anticipation of Christmas and as a kid counting down just makes the holiday season that much more fun. We have several advent calendars, but I couldn’t resist making one more.
I adored Little Lucy Lu’s version, but decided to include Christmas themed activities as part of ours. I used “library pockets” and covered them with holiday scrapbook paper I had on hand for the daily countdown envelopes.
I used an old frame I had lying around (from a project I never got around to) and spray painted it red. My sister printed off a list of fun Christmas themed activities which I added to tags and put in each pocket, which I then attached to the ribbon using mini clothespins.
I love how it turned out and my kids have had lots of fun waking up each morning to a new Christmas themed surprise. The best part is it’s forced me to slow down and cherish the little moments that make Christmas so magical.
Here is a list of some of the activities we’ve included on our advent calendar:
- Open a new special Christmas ornament and hang it on the tree
- Make a Christmas craft with mom and dad
- Watch a Christmas move and enjoy hot cocoa and popcorn
- Reenact the Nativity Story
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Go look at Christmas lights
- Color a Christmas picture and send it to someone special
- Collect food for the local food pantry
Do you have an advent calendar? If so, leave a link in the comments below. I’d love to see how you count down to Christmas.